Friday, December 4, 2009

John Lee HOOKER - House of the Blues 1959


John Lee HOOKER - House of the Blues 1959

Blues

In 1951 Delta emigre' John Lee Hooker was a Detroit resident enjoying the raging success of recent singles and gearing up to wax his urgent folk blues for a host of record companies under various noms de blooze. Chess was one of the firms, and twelve sides cut between 1951 and 1954 eventually turned up on this 1959 long-player. Hooker's singing, lubricious and steely, inveighs against annoying women; his rudimental guitar is exciting; and his stamping the plywood floor in ruttish insistence makes for exemplary blues rhythm. Most of the tracks have him solo. Caveat emptor: Two songs have atrocious sound.
By Frank John Hadley.
**
I didn't know any other white kids in Lakewood, California who listened to John Lee Hooker back in 1959, but I did. Don't get me wrong, I was a real fan of the new white rock stuff, you know, Ricky Nelson, Dion, Cliff Richard. And I liked country, Johnny Horton, Johnny Cash, others. But the blues, I loved the blues. It spoke to me. Still does. Don't know why. But I know this, this music moves me and John Lee Hooker is one of the best there is at it.

I must've played "Love Blues" a million and a half times. I've worn out several copies of this record. Thank the Lord for CDs. Thank him for iTunes too. Thank him for J.L.H. as well. This man can make you feel. He chills you. Don't believe me, give a listen to "Sugar Mama". If Mr. Hooker's praying for her to come back to him doesn't get to you, you have no emotions.

In "Down at the Landing" J.L.H. is wondering where his baby can be and it just about tears your heart out the way he sings it. "Louise" is the sweetest girl Mr. Hooker knows, the song's sweet too. This record ends with a couple songs about women and money. Got money, you get the women. Ain't that the truth.
By Ken Douglas.
**
John Lee Hooker- (Vocals, Guitar)
Eddie Kirkland- (Guitar)
Bob Thurman- (Piano)
**
A1. Walkin' the Boogie   2:44
A2. Love Blues   3:01
A3. Union Station Blues   2:58
A4. It's My Own Fault   2:59
A5. Leave My Wife Alone   2:48
A6. Ramblin' by Myself   3:20

B1. Sugar Mama   3:16
B2. Down at the Landing   2:56
B3. Louise   3:06
B4. Ground Hog Blues   2:58
B5. High Priced Woman   2:44
B6. Women and Money   2:52
**
NoPassword
*
DLink
*

No comments:

Post a Comment