Monday, December 7, 2009
Jacques LOUSSIER - The Very Best Of Play Bach 2001
When you hear that someone's jazzing up Bach, it usually involves adding a few cymbal hits to someone playing straight Bach at high speed. Yes, there's a bit of that here, but when the jazz bits break through, they're really something special. Loussier uses the basic harmonic progression of the Bach but the upper harmonies and rhythms are definitely his and they're pretty funky. Unfortunately, most tracks start with a few minutes of "Bach to cymbals" and I think this manages to ruin both types of music. Still well worth a listen. Track 1 and esp. 3 are really quite funky.
By Matthew Allan.
Jacques Loussier- Piano
Vincent Charbonnier- Bass
Andre Arpino- Drums
01. Invenzione A 2 Voci N. 8 In Fa Maggiore BWV 779 (2:41)
02. Aria Sulla Quarta Corda Dalla Suite Per Orchestra N. 3 (3:37)
03. Siciliano In Sol Minore - Dalla Sonata Per Flauto In Mi Bemolle Maggiore BWV1031 (3:35)
04. Toccata E Fuga In Re Minore BWV 564 (9:26)
05. Preludio N. 1 In Do Maggiore BWV 846 Dal Clavicembalo Ben Temperato Vol. 1 (5:27)
06. Preludio N. 2 In Do Minore BWV 847 Dal Clavicembalo Ben Temperato Vol. 1 (4:40)
07. Corale Jesus Bleibet Meine Freude Dalla Cantata Herz Und Mund Und Tat Und Leben BWV 147 (4:35)