Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Funkadelic - Live, Meadowbrook, Rochester, Michigan 12th September, 1971


Funkadelic - Live, Meadowbrook, Rochester, Michigan 12th September, 1971

Jazz

Not released until 1996, this was an unusual gig for the band, which was breaking in a new rhythm section (this may have been this lineup's first show) without much or any rehearsal. You can't tell from this 77-minute disc, which offers a typically amorphous, free-floating set of black rock, which is to say, judged by most standards, it's not typical music at all. Seguing from spaced-out jams to occasional numbers with vocals by George Clinton, and throwing in imaginative improvisations by guitarist Eddie Hazel and keyboardist Bernie Worrell, it sounds something like a combination of Jimi Hendrix, James Brown, and Sun Ra. The 14-minute "Maggot Brain" verges on prog rock/psychedelia (in the good sense), with its almost mystical guitar lines; earthier pleasures are offered with cuts like "I Call My Baby Pussycat" (two versions). The fidelity is pretty good, though the vocals lack the presence of the instruments. Funkadelic are still shown to their best advantage on their studio recordings of the era, but this is certainly a fascinating find for fans, augmented by detailed liner notes about the gig by Rob Bowman.
By Richie Unterberger. AMG.
**
Clarence "Fuzzy" Haskins, George Clinton , Grady Thomas, Ray Davies , Calvin Simon- (Vocals);
Eddie Hazel , Harold Beane- (Guitar);
Bernie Worrell- (Organ, Keyboards);
Billy "Bass" Nelson- (Bass Guitar);
Tyrone Lampkin- (Drums).
**
01. Alice in My Fantasies 6:36
02. Maggot Brain 14:01
03. I Call My Baby Pussycat [fast] 5:38
04. I Call My Baby Pussycat 8:07
05. Good Old Music 4:30
06. I Got a Thing, You Got a Thing, Everybody Got a Thing 8:37
07. All Your Goodies Are Gone 15:07
08. I'll Bet You 5:24
09. You & Your Folks, Me & My Folks 5:27
10. Free Your Mind & Your Ass Will Follow 3:41
**
NoPassword
*
DLink
*

No comments:

Post a Comment