Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Blues Project - Live At The Cafe A Go Go 1966


The Blues Project - Live At The Cafe A Go Go 1966
Extended Version

Blues

(Please note Tommy had left the group by the time the album was released.
All titles recorded "Live At The Café Au Go Go" in November 1965 and January 1966
Tracks 1 to 11 released on the album "Live At The Café Au Go Go" on Verve Folkways FTS.3000 and released in March 1966. Tracks 12 to 17 are outtakes or alternate versions from the same recordings which remain un-issued until the 1997 CD release "The Blues Project "Anthology" on Polydor/ Chronicles 314 529 758-2 A single "Catch The Wind"/"I Want To Be Your Driver" was issued on Verve Folkways KF.5013 in 1966

Original album and single release courtesy of the Andrew Lauder Archive
Mastered for this release by Loud Mastering, Taunton, Somerset, UK
Special thanks to Iestyn David (London) and Bill Levenson (New York) for their help with this release. RIP John Platt).
**
If you talk about the 60s and 70s, I believe the two most underrated groups are Spirit and the Blues Project, both of which were very jazzy for the taste of the epoch and so much more sophisticated than the commercial music.
I bought this CD to see if I would still like it. You hear so much music from the 60s to the 90s all over the radio. Some sounds rancid and some sublime.
I loved this album when it first came out. (My friend Chris Winfield who is now an artist, turned me on to them as he did to much jazz, classical and blues.) They were among my favorite groups then and remain so.
I have to say that I loved Flute thing and a few instrumentals which are not included here but no one can perform every track in concert.
Listening now, I especially enjoy Alberta and Violets of Dawn, very poetic with that certain offness which Verlaine recommends for poetry. (I can't even recommend Verlaine so much since so many other French poets exceed him by far but he did write some amazing poems on how poetry should work.)
So, if you want pure poetry in the form of music, get this CD.
By Robert Leutwiler.
**
Andy Kulberg- Bass, Flute
Roy Blumenfeld- Drums
Danny Kalb- Guitar [Lead], Vocals
Steve Katz- Guitar [Rhythm], Harmonica, Vocals 
Organ, Keyboards, Vocals - Al Kooper
Tommy Flanders- Vocals -  (tracks: 7, 8, 10 to 13, 15 to 17)
Written-By; Willie Dixon (tracks: 2, 8, 10, 12)
**
01. Goin' Down Louisiana 4:04
02. You Go And I'll Go With You 3:49
03. Catch The Wind 3:05
04. I Want To Be Your Driver 2:23
05. Alberta 4:10  
06. The Way My Baby Walks 3:09 
07. Violets Of Dawn 2:56  
08. Back Door Man 3:16
09. Jelly Jelly Blues 4:45
10. Spoonful 4:58
11. Who Do You Love? 5:30
  Bonus Tracks
12. Hoochie Coochie Man 2:33
13. Parchman Farm 3:32 
14. Alberta (Alternate Version) 4:52 
15. Have You Ever Had The Blues? 2:43  
16. Bright Lights, Big City 4:50 
17. Who Do You Love? (Alternate Version) 6:00
**
NoPassword
*
DLink
*

No comments:

Post a Comment