Thursday, February 25, 2010
Branford MARSALIS - Dark Keys 1996
Dark Keys is Branford Marsalis' first major solo album since taking a leave from recording to be the musical director of The Tonight Show in 1993. Instead of following through with the hip-hop inclinations of Buckshot LeFonque, Marsalis has returned to traditional jazz, yet this is far from standard bop. Marsalis pushes at the borders of post-bop, adding elements of hip-hop and rock & roll, making for an adventurous and exciting listen. Occasionally, his experiments are unsuccessful, yet they are never less than intriguing.
By Leo Stanley, All Music Guide.
Joe Lovano- Tenor Sax,
Reginald Veal- Bass,
Jeff "Tain" Watts- Drums,
Kenny Garrett- Alto Sax,
Branford Marsalis- Tenor,Soprano Sax.
01. The Dark Keys Branford Marsalis 10:44
02. Hesitation Branford Marsalis 6:01
03. A Thousand Autumns Branford Marsalis Trio 6:23
04. Sentinel Branford Marsalis 8:54
05. Lykeif Branford Marsalis 6:08
06. Judas Iscariot Branford Marsalis 7:52
07. Blutain Branford Marsalis 7:41
08. Schott Happens Branford Marsalis 8:20