Sunday, November 1, 2009

Frank GAMBALE - Coming To Your Senses 2000


Frank GAMBALE - Coming To Your Senses 2000

Blues

Summing up my feelings about this CD I would say it is Frank's best work since "The Great Explorers" album. This might not help you much so here are some more thoughts. I don't think Franks guitar tone has sounded this good for a long time. Maybe its his new Yamaha guitar or something, but it's really nice and I want one. There are some wonderful melodies here too. Memorable, catchy, tasteful, with interesting rythmical backdrops. The solo guitar is tasteful and rarely over the top. Frank's vibrato is just sublime. The album is all instrumental, and pretty recognisable as Frank Gambale (which is a good thing). The jazz fusion style here is really easy to listen to, as long as you like guitar based music that is. One track, "Major Fascination" reminds me of an Alan Holdsworth/Bill Bruford/Jeff Berlin sound. The bass/drums/keyboard work on the album is just great but I've never heard of any of the musicians involved so I guess I must have had my head in the sand or something. When Frank really gets going his solo improvisations always seem interesting. I like a lot of "shredders" eg Yngwie Malmsteen, Tony Macalpine, Marty Friedman, Greg Howe, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani etc and although Frank is perhaps not fast by modern standards, he doesn't have to be to keep my ear interested. After Pat Metheny, Frank Gambale is my second favourite fusion guitar player, closely followed by Greg Howe, so if you like any of these artistes then you may well like Frank too.
This is definitely a 5-star product.
By Gordon HUDDY.
**
Frank Gambale- (Acoustic & Electric Guitars, Sitar, Sound Effects);
Hans Zemhuelen- (Keyboards);
Ric Fierabracci- (Bass);
Mark Shulman, Joel Taylor, Enzo Todesco, Ray Brinker- (Drums).
**
01. Up In Beachwood
02. Circular Quay
03. Major Fascination
04. Salvador Once More
05. Cybernaughts
06. Mirage Mystery
07. Isola D'Elba
08. Land Of The Leal
09. The Italian Job
10. Loch Ness Monster
**
Nopassword
*
DLink
*

No comments:

Post a Comment