Saturday, November 21, 2009

Janis SIEGEL - Friday Night Special 2003


Janis SIEGEL - Friday Night Special 2003

Jazz

Janis Siegel is a member of the vocal group the Manhattan Transfer. This 10-song set is aptly-titled, as her singing is accompanied by a quartet anchored by a Hammond organ (played by Joey DeFrancesco) with material that glides easily between jazz and sophisticated pop. The songs draw from a couple generations of writers, from Rodgers & Hart, Cy Coleman and Harold Arlen, to Bill Withers. Siegel's mellifluous voice is nicely matched with the counterpoint solos of tenor saxophonist Houston Person, making for a classic combo-and-vocalist album that breathes with the very real interplay of all involved. Producer Joel Dorn created a believable sonic setting that is at once warm and unobtrusive, capturing the intimacy of a live setting with the clarity of a studio.
By David Greenberger.
**
I have been a fan of the Transfer and in particular Janis' work for 15 years, from Experiment in White to her lastest release Friday Night Special. This album is superb as all the others have been. Her pure, sincere voice brings home all these songs, but my favorites on this album include "My, How the Time Goes By", "My Love Is/My Babe", "You Don't Know Me", and "Misty." Having listed my favorites, let me say there is no bad, or even mediocre cut on the album, the ones I listed are just the best of the best. I was so fortunate to see her perform solo in Michigan last Friday, and the performance was nothing short of outstanding. She is, in my opinion, one of the most versatile and talented vocalists I have ever heard. If you are a new Janis fan, get At Home (currently out of print), The Tender Trap, and Friday Night Special. You won't be disappointed.
By  W. Becker.
**
Janis Siegel- (Vocals);
Houston Person- (Tenor Saxophone);
Joey DeFrancesco- (Hammond B-3 Organ);
Peter Bernstein, Russell Malone- (Guitar);
Buddy Williams- (Drums).
**
01. The Same Love That Made Me Laugh, Made Me Cry (4:25)
02. My, How The Time Goes By (5:38)
03. I Just Dropped By To Say Hello (4:28)
04. My Love Is / My Babe (5:26)
05. Let It Be (5:00)
06. Ill Wind (5:32)
07. You Don't Know Me (4:30)
08. There's A Small Hotel (3:33)
09. Make Me A Present Of You (4:44)
10. Misty (5:21)
**
NoPassword
*
DLink
*

No comments:

Post a Comment