Saturday, November 7, 2009

Johnny WINTER & Edgar WINTER - Rock 'N' Roll - 1989


Johnny WINTER & Edgar WINTER - Rock 'N' Roll - 1989

Blues

Let's put the debate regarding which is the better of the two sides (rocker/bluesman) of Johnny Winter's career aside for a moment. After all, we are very fortunate to be able to enjoy both sides of Johnny's career!
Johnny Winter And Live was the first Winter record I'd ever heard, back in 1972! And it is still hotter than a firecraker on a Phoenix 4th of July!
Johnny Winter, Rick Derringer, Randy Hobbs, and Bobby Caldwell are absolutely scorchin' hot on this live release recorded at Pirate's World and The Fillmore East circa 1971. Listen: I've been buying and listening to records since 1967 and nothing, and I mean NOTHING is as consistently firey hot as this set. I saw Johnny on his Still Alive and Well tour but I really wish I'd seen this line up. If I had a time machine, I would definitely be dialing in the dates of these performances.
I thought about this "record" for a while before writing this review because I wanted to try and describe the level of excitement and energy found here. The best metaphor I can come up with is this release is like an amusement park full of roller coasters. Each track is an action packed, thrill ride - no foolin'. All the musicians are great, Caldwell and Hobbs make a relentless, pounding rhythm section throughout while Johnny burns up the fretboard and Derringer does an admirable job of keeping up. It's Johnny, like Pecos Bill, ridin' atop a tornado of a band. In my opinion, this is one of 3 or 4 truly exciting live recordings from this era.
The session opens up with Bobby Caldwell (later the drummer for Captain Beyond) pounding away an introduction to Good Morning Little School Girl with Winter off mic shouting with his trademark growl - yeaaaaaaah!
Next we get a searing rendition of BB King's It's My Own Fault. Winter's vocal on the ending is literally the tail wagging the dog!
Next up, a positively blistering version of Jumpin' Jack Flash that just has to be heard - this is worth the price of admission. When Winter sings "I was schooled with a strap right across my back" you KNOW he means it far more than that beloved, rubber-lipped graduate of the London School of Economics (yes, I am a Stones fan too). After 30+ years this is STILL the best version of this tune I have ever heard recorded live. It has all the fury of a "cross-fire hurricane"!
Next up, the rock-n-roll medley (Great Balls of Fire/Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On) that features Rick Derringer in a demonstration/audience performance of how to "Shake It" You can tell that the entire audience is on their feet jumpin' and shakin' around like a Holy Spirit charged congregation of Pentacostal believers.
Mean Town Blues, from a guitar player perspective is the highlite of this release. Simply amazing playing from Mr Winter. Can't elaborate. It's Smokin'!
The set wraps up with Johnny growling/shouting "Rock-n-roll" and blazing into Johnny B. Goode - hands down the greatest version of this song anywhere.
I think what makes this set so incredible compared to other blazing guitar performances I've heard is the level of sincerity and authenticity. These guys aren't trying to prove anything, they don't need to! They are having a whale of a time showing off their craft and pumping the audience up with their seemingly endless energy.
**
01. Frankenstein   4.45
02. Riot In Cell Block #9   3.09
03. Rock & Roll Hoochie Koo   3.30
04. Free Ride   3.07
05. Jumpin' Jack Flash   2.57
06. Highway 61 Revisited   5.08
07. Keep Playin' That Rock & Roll   3.46
08. Still Alive And Well   3.42
09. Tobacco Road   4.05
**
NoPassword
*
DLink
*

No comments:

Post a Comment