Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Shar BABY - My Life, Down Under 2009


Shar BABY - My Life, Down Under 2009

Blues

I am a blues singer and guitarist. I've been singing and playing for 43 years. My style of blues are more Traditional/Delta and roots blues. I have been on the same bill as Denise LaSalle, The Legendary Sam Lay, The Legendary Willie King, and many more. I will be in the Coin Blues Festival April 11, 2009 in Malaga, Spain. They call me Queen of the Jukes.
SharBaby.
**
Let me say right at the start that this CD contains some of the best blues I've heard
this year, in fact some of the best blues that I've heard for a long time - the lady is
the real deal, and they don't make blues albums like this anymore.
Ok, so that's the cliches out of the way .
Shar-Baby, originally from Indiana and now living in Alabama is what the blues is all
about. She writes songs about her life, starting around the age of ten, just the way
blues singers have always done.
There's no pretentiousness here, just pure down-horne great blues from a lady and her
guitar.
The album starts with "Poolroom Blues" a song Shar-Baby wrote about her early years in
Indian where she lived opposite Hoover's Poolroom and would sit on a coal bin watching
the comings and goings. The lyrics are so vivid that you can close your eyes and see it.
It took me a long time to get past this track,
it's just so compelling.
"Master Dees" follows up, a chilling tale of slavery, so full of atmosphere that it makes
the hair stand up on the back of my neck - slow, moody, compulsive listening. Anyone who
likes the blues will absolutely love this - it's John Lee Hooker in drag!!!!
Track three, "Don't want you hanging around" ups the tempo a notch and brings in a little
understated harmonica, Little Walter style (there's a connection here, Shar-Baby's aunt
was Little Walter's girlfriend at one time). This is a plea from a woman who doesn't
want her man hanging around where he might get into temptation.
"Old Block House" tells the story of Shar-Baby's early life in the projects in South
Bend, Indiana - this is straight from the heart, telling of a hard childhood. The
alburnrniscalled "My Life" and that's just what it is - a diary of Shar-Baby's life, good
and bad.
I really don't want to say any more about this album - I want people to get a copy of it
and play it to death.
What I will say is that it's compelling listening, and some of the most authentic blues
that has been recorded in this decade.
Get a copy via www.myspace.com/sharbabysbluesparty
By (Mr Fatass) Terry Clear.
**
01. Poolroom Blues 4.36
02. Masre Dees 4.30
03. Don´t Want You Hangin Around 4.00
04. Old Block House 4.01
05. The World Is On A Even Keel 5.14
06. Three Strikes, You´re Out 3.18
07. Own Mind Blues 4.40
08. Popcorn And Greenbeans 4.34
09. Broken Promises 4.03
10. Washington Street Shuffle 4.35
**
NoPassword
*
DLink
*

No comments:

Post a Comment