Thursday, October 29, 2009

Jack DeJOHNETTE - Selected Recordings, Rarum XII 2004


Jack DeJOHNETTE - Selected Recordings, Rarum XII  2004
Recorded in Oslo, Norway; Los Angeles, California and
New York, New York, United States between 1971 and 1997.

Jazz

As with the other releases in ECM's "Rarum" series, these tracks were selected by the artist himself.
Although Jack Dejohnette has recorded as a leader and sideman for many labels, I personally feel his long association with ECM is really where he has done his best work-at least to date.
I could argue with some of the selections here-personally I would choose something like "Ebony" from the never available on CD "Inflation Blues" release to better represent his work with his Special Edition horn-oriented band. I have also been waiting for the CD release on ECM of his "Untitled" CD with his band "Directions" from 1976 and would have selected something from that as well, since I place that recording in Dejohnette's top 5 ever. Please release this on CD ECM!
However, for all the tracks that I feel may be missing from this, it is still 1) An excellent sampler of Jack Dejohnettes work, or for fans like me, a nice re-visitation. 2)Very interesting from the point of view that Dejohnette himself chooses these particular selections as having that "something special".
Dejohnette oddly doesn't even focus on his own compositions-he includes an original from guitarist Mick Goodrick's solo album where Jack plays drums as a sideman as well as a Keith Jarrett composition from their very early duet recording "Ruta and Daitya".
Personally though I have many compilations made from my Dejohnette collection for my own listening over the years and I feel that there are 4 "must have" tracks that I cannot leave off any compilation of my favorite Jack Dejohnette recordings, and 3 of them are here.
They are "Pictures 5 & 6" from my very favorite Dejohnette recording "Pictures" (and I feel the 2 best tracks off of that record) and "Silver Hollow" from his "New Directions" recording. The only truly "best piece" that I find missing here is "Blue" that originally appeared on the Gateway 2 recording and also appeared on Dejohnette's other best of compilation on ECM "Works"-so try to find a remaining copy of that compilation as well for an even more complete overall picture of Dejohnette's best ECM years.
Jack Dejohnette is not only a classic creative musician but a classy human being as well, one that continues to inspire me-as he has done in the nearly 30 years since I first discovered his music.
Long live Jack Dejohnette!!
By Phasedin.
**
Jack DeJohnette- (Piano, Drums, Percussion);
John Purcell- (Alto Sax);
David Murray- (Tenor Saxophone);
John Surman- (baritone Sax);
Lester Bowie- (Trumpet);
Howard Johnson- (Tuba);
Michael Cain- (Piano);
Keith Jarrett- (Electric Piano);
John Abercrombie- (Guitar, Mandolin);
Jerome Harris, Mick Goodrick- (Guitar);
Rufus Reid, Eddie Gomez, Dave Holland- (Acoustic Bass);
Don Alias- (Percussion).
**
01. Third World Anthem-Jack DeJohnette's Special Edition  10:52      
02. Jack In-Jack DeJohnette  12:34      
03. Feebles, Fables And Ferns-Mick Goodrick  7:58  
04. Overture - Communion-Keith Jarrett    5:57  
05. How's Never-Gateway     7:30      
06. Silver Hollow-Jack DeJohnette New Directions  8:24      
07. Picture 5-Jack DeJohnette    6:06  
08. Picture 6-Jack DeJohnette    7:53
**
NoPassword
*
DLink
*

No comments:

Post a Comment